Thursday 9 May 2024

Urban Birding in Istanbul

Well, after last week's visit to Marrakech i'm now in Istanbul, ahead of our Turkey tour. After trying to find out what my Western Palearctic list is on iGoTerra I seem to be showing signs of aging as I did find the Western P list but have lost it again! Anyway, my WP list is paltry and embarrassing and (i think) is roughly only around a paltry 550....... Possibly.... Maybe.... But what I do know is Alexandrine Parakeet is a deffo Western P tick, which I duly nailed this afternoon. But i'm still trying to figure out if that's a bit sad or not. Lol. Also, I don't seem to have ticked Common Myna either in the Western P, and there's a few around here as well.

I'm really looking forward to the next month away and today was a bonus as Mrs B and I walked down to the Bosphorus, where Yelkouan Shearwaters were streaming past. I counted 1,200 in 25 minutes and they were still passing in similar numbers as we walked up the hill and I scanned from a  distance. Amazing! 



Looking across the Bosphorus

Also, in the local parks that were choc full of people were Rose-ringed Parakeets, many Yellow-legged Gulls and Hooded Crows and a fine male Red-backed Shrike that looked like he wanted to be anywhere else but here! We even had a Pygmy Cormorant fly past and it's been over 20 years since i've seen one of those. 

Anyway, our group assembles tomorrow and like in the Avengers movie of the same name it's going to be one hell of a ride!


No comments:

Post a Comment