Monday 5 February 2024

SOUTH AMERICA DREAMING....

Had a day of preparation today and it feels like a big deal with the first trip of 2024 looming on the horizon. Actually it's huge as there's a Hooded Grebe with my name on it waiting for me.  I'm not sure the anticipation of seeing this particular bird will let me sleep between now and my arrival in Argentina on Thursday. I am in regular contact with my guide and he has been keeping me updated on where these very rare birds are being seen and we've had to change our plans recently as the pair we were targeting have become elusive and disappeared. It transpires there's another lake on a different ranch, but the owners want $600 to let us have access.........

So i'm leaving the UK on Wednesday for the first of many flights (all worth it of course) to have a crack at seeing this beauty. This recce is the start of a whole month away, with a few days birding around Santiago, Chile before two weeks on our Cape Horn Cruise. We end up in Buenos Aires with a few days at a fabulous place called Ceibas, a couple of hours away from the city.

I have started my packing and unlike last year when I was packing my dinner jacket and bow tie, this year I'm taking a less formal approach to cruising. I've packed an extra 3 books instead! Last year I had my right hand woman with me, but this year she is still convalescing after an operation, so the minutae is all mine to cope with... Washing 'pods' and instant coffee sachets are being thrust at me in recyclable bags and paracetamol and flu tablets added to my hand luggage. It's not detracting from my excitement though ......I don't think anything could. When new birds no longer command this level of enthusiasm it might be time to hang up my bins! But that's not going to happen EVER!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment