Sunday 1 July 2012

Brunei Stopover

So where does this ZOOTHERA guy go for his holiday? Well since the beginning of the year i've done 3 tours to Thailand, and 1 each to Cambodia, Malaysia, Taiwan, SE China & Sichuan I decided to go back to........ Malaysia. There's a few glaring omissions on my life list and I hope by spending 6 nights at Taman Negara and 3 nights at Fraser's Hill I can get lucky. The main targets for me are Crested Fireback, Great Argus, Rail Babbler and Garnet Pitta, but I have no idea of my chances - and a little rest would be nice after a hectic schedule spent working overnights recently on the 2013 brochure have left me really tired and run down. Yeah right! As this is a private holiday and not an official tour I apologise if the blog is a little more light-hearted than usual!!!

Well wasn't expecting a 6 hour layover at Bandar Seri Begawan (that's Brunei) so myself and my longtime birding mate from the good old days, Lee Collins (of Dawlish Warren fame) walked out into the mid-morning furnace and birded some open areas in front of the terminal building. Didn't get anything too great but Grey-rumped Treeswift, White-breasted Woodswallow, Pied Fantail, Brown-throated Sunbird and a bunch of other common birds certainly helped while away a few hours before we flew on to Kuala Lumpur and the comforting surroundings of the Concorde Hotel.

No comments:

Post a Comment